In the end, all you take with you is your story.

-Australia-

4.07.2010

Life is a Balancing Act

Everything in life is a balancing act. We have to balance our careers with our families. Our friends with our relationships. Our head with our heart. Our faith with our doubts. We have to balance eating what we want with exercise. We balance our dreams and our realities. We balance our finances and checkbooks. We balance work and play. We balance our wants and our needs.

One of the hardest things I have found to balance while living abroad is missing life at home with enjoying life in the present. It is always hard because things like holidays, memories, hardships, and joys make me really miss my family and friends at home (and around the world) dearly. It is easy also because my new friends and experiences are beginning to really fulfill my life in the present. Sometimes I catch myself thinking "what would my life be like if I were at home?" It is of course an unavoidable thought; we all do it no matter where we may be, we wonder what life would be like if we were somewhere else. But I have to stop and remind myself that I am not at home. I am here in a foreign land that as strange as it may be is becoming more and more familiar all the time and feeling more and more like home with each passing day.

We all have our own ideas of what home is, but to me home is a place and/or a group of people that you carry in your heart. Even though I consider Korea my home of sorts in the present, I feel like I have lots of different homes in different senses. Crown Point, Indiana will forever be the home of my childhood. Valparaiso, Indiana is the home of my teenage and post college years. Bloomington, Indiana is the home of the best years of my life. Kenya will always feel like home to me in Africa. My family and friends will always be my home wherever they may be. I am doing my best to keep in touch as much as possible and I know it is difficult because of schedules, time changes, and life in general, but I just want you all the know that I love and miss you wherever you may be and think of you more than you know.


Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment