In the end, all you take with you is your story.

-Australia-

10.02.2010

The Beginning of the End

I've never mentioned this before because technically it's not allowed, but I figure I only have three more school days left, so what have I got to loose? Parents in Korea will pay big bucks for their children's education. English education is very important to parents and most enroll their kids in a private English language school or pay for a private tutor. Private English tutoring jobs are widely available here in Korea and pay well. Many foreigners take tutoring jobs on the side to earn some extra cash, even though all of our contracts say we aren't supposed to. I have had the opportunity to tutor this year in Korea and it has been a great experience. My most recent tutoring experience has been for four little girls. They are between the ages of 3-5 and are absolutely precious. I tutor them twice a week for an hour. Each week I come to their homes and we spend our time reciting the ABCs, learning phonics, playing games, and I bribe them with stickers and candy. I have been quite surprised with their progress in the last few months I have taught them. They by no means can actually put English phrases or sentences together, but they have grown to understand me very well and our lessons usually run pretty smooth after I taught them things like "1, 2, 3, hands in your lap" and "follow me" then I clap and they have to follow. I think their favorite English word is "no" because when they just want to play it's all I hear. That's where the bribing comes into play. Last week was my last tutoring session and it was a little sad to say goodbye. I will definitely miss their high energy, smiling faces, and sweet curiosity.


Yuni, Da Hae, me, Seoyoon, and Cho Hyun, mouths stuffed with candy

Friday all my English co-teachers took me out to dinner for a goodbye meal. It was really sweet of them and we had a nice meal including shabu shabu, duck, and fried rice. For as many issues as I have had with my job this year they have all been so kind and supportive and I am forever grateful to have met them and worked with them.


duck and pumpkin


my English co-teachers and I

Goodbyes are always hard and my hardest are yet to come. Planning on enjoying my last week here in Korea.

Happy October!


Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment