In the end, all you take with you is your story.

-Australia-

12.04.2009

Sometimes Car Trouble is a Blessing in Disguise

My Korean-style Thanksgiving celebration was a success. We had delicious food, great company, and lots of fun celebrating last week.


homemade mashed potatoes & gravy


Sara, Hyun-jin, and I


not too shabby

As I mentioned, the Korean government mandated that all public school children receive the H1N1 vaccine in schools. Our students received the vaccine the other week and let me tell you, it was chaos. Mass chaos. First, there was a team of doctors, nurses, and public health staff that was brought into the school to set up their "station" in the science lab. All the teachers and office staff were running around like crazy trying to get everything prepared. Next they began with first grade and brought the students class by class into the hallway and lined them up. Their temperature was checked by sticking a thermometer into the students' ears, it was recorded on their sheet of paper, and then they were ushered into the science room for their vaccine. Many screams and cries were heard throughout the hallways that day. I was given the task of checking temperatures for 3rd-6th grade students. I figured that I stuck a thermometer into about 1,000 students' ears. I couldn't help but think about jabbing that thermometer a little deeper than necessary into the students' ears who constantly misbehave in my class..... wish I was kidding, but of course I would never..... The process took all morning and left everyone at school feeling exhausted and relived that it was over.

I was supposed to attend a training last weekend with my co-teacher and vice principal. I woke up bright and early at 7A.M. on a Saturday and was picked up a half hour later by my co-teacher. None of us were particularly excited about going to a voluntary school-related event on our day off, but the vice principal asked us to come and we kinda couldn't say no. (Actually I was running all my excuses through my head the night before, but decided to suck it up.) So we began the hour and a half journey to the very northern part of Korea for the event. Looking around us at the scenery we were seriously almost in North Korea. There were Korean army guards stationed at posts just off the highway. We got almost all the way to the city the training was being held in and my co-teacher's car broke down in the middle of the highway. She called for help and we had to stand outside in the freezing cold waiting for a tow. I was pessimistic thinking that it would take forever and amazing enough one showed about ten minutes later. We went to the mechanics and waited about an hour for the car to be fixed. While waiting, my co-teacher turned to me with a sly grin and said "I guess I have to call the vice principal and tell her we won't make it today." I knew what she really meant was "thank God we get to go home and crawl back into bed." My thoughts exactly.

We celebrated my friend's last weekend here in Korea Saturday night. We began at one of my favorite places in Seoul called Rainbow Room. It is a little hippy hookah bar with dim lights, floor seating, and a chill atmosphere. Then our night took us to Hongdae where were danced the night away in true Seoul fashion. Great weekend with great people.


Rainbow in Gangnam


yum green apple hookah


goodbye Mina

I attended a training course for GEPIK public school teachers in my province Monday through Wednesday of this week. I was dreading it a little, but was actually a lot of fun. It was helpful speaking to people teaching in similar situations as me with large class sizes, unruly kids, and problems motivating students to learn English. I got a lot of great ideas, made some new friends, and drank a lot of soju.

Since Christmas is coming up and my birthday just a few months after that I thought I would put together a small wish list for anyone wanting to send me something over here. I am not asking for presents, but just thought if it had crossed your mind to send something, but you weren't sure what- here are some ideas of things I miss/would appreciate. Most of these things can be found here, but are really pricey and/or far away to purchase, especially good books/mags.
  • Christmas cookies
  • Orbitz whitening gum (spearmint or peppermint)
  • Kraft easy mac
  • Elle or InStyle magazines (used would be great too! they are $7 or more a pop here!)
  • books (would LOVE some more good reads)
  • English picture books to use for teaching
  • stickers, book marks, other fun things for my students
  • Jergens self tanning lotion
  • Burt's Bees chap stick
  • watermelon sour patch kids, sweedish fish, or green package of starburts

really excited to see Christmas decorations up

If you have never read "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho do yourself a favor a pick up a copy. It is a short read jam packed with great insights about life, love, and the pursuit of your destiny. I just re-read it for the umpteenth time and wanted to share some of my favorite quotes.

"The secret of happiness is to see all the marvels of the world, and never to forget the drops of oil on the spoon."

"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."

"One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving."

"Because it's not love to be static like the desert, nor is it love to roam the world like the wind. And it's not love to see everything from a distance, like you do. Love is the force that transforms and improves the Soul of the World."

-Paulo Coelho-
The Alchemist


Happy December!


Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment