In the end, all you take with you is your story.

-Australia-

7.11.2010

"So Do We Get Paddles?"

I ventured to the eastern province of Gangwon-do this past weekend for an adventure filled trip through a tour company called Adventure Korea. Some friends and I decided to get out of the city Saturday and enjoy a day of white water rafting and bungee jumping. The white water rafting was not as 'good' as it might have been because the water level was low. The rapids were nothing compared to the mighty White Nile and it was just more relaxing than nerve-racking. The scenery up the river was absolutely gorgeous. We were drifting along through a canyon of shear cliffs on either side. Along the way there were several waterfalls and some beautiful and interesting rock formations. Our raft was dubbed "team soju" since our guide had a soju hang-over and several of our group had taken some swigs of soju on the bus before the rafting. After a few hours we were finally back the the starting point for some showers and lunch. When we finished lunch we headed to the bridge a few miles away for the bungee jumping portion of our trip. This was the highlight for me. Because so many people wanted to jump it took forever to get through us all. The longer we stood up on the platform the more I contemplated my decision to tempt fate yet again, but of course I went through with it. The jump was 52 meters high and I jumped solo by my ankles. The jump was quite bouncy compared to my other jumps and I actually saw stars from spinning around so much while I was hanging in the air. Several Korean people tried to jump and chickened out. One man tried three times before throwing in the towel and doing the walk of shame back down from the platform. One Korean girl bungee jumped in high heels. Yes, high heels. Only in Korea. It was a great day, but I arrived home more than 12 hours later exhausted, sunburnt, and more than likely missing a few more brain cells.


Sean and I with the river in the background


my jump courtesy of Alex Yang


Sunday my friend Chris and I braved the crowds for the grand opening of Taco Bell in Itaewon. They were giving away free tacos and the mass of people waiting in line for them was crazy. The food actually tasted like T Bell from home. It was a little slice of America right here in Korea. Yum.


T Bell feast


Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment