In the end, all you take with you is your story.

-Australia-

7.21.2010

A Lovely Afternoon

My co-teacher picked me up from school today and took me out to lunch. Her friend, Jeanie, another English teacher came with us too. We ate a delicious lunch at a western buffet restaurant and had some great conversation. My co-teacher asked me if I had ever had a foot massage before and I told her no, then her and Jeanie decided we needed to be treated to one.

When we finished eating, we stopped by a cosmetic counter so my co-teacher could get some make-up. She was helped by a young guy and after she purchased and we left the store, her and Jeanie commented on how strange it was to see a man working at a cosmetic counter and wondered why he would want to do that. I just stated the obvious and told them that it was probably because he was gay. I mentioned it without hesitating, not thinking about how homosexuality is a very taboo issue in Korea. They both looked at me like I told them there was no Santa Clause or something, very shocked. The issue of homosexuality is basically not talked about in Korea at all. There is a small grouping of gay bars in Itaewon in an area called "Homo Hill", but besides that other gay establishments are all underground and not spoken of. Many young gay Koreans have to hide their true identity from their families and will probably never be able to come out to them unless things change sometime soon. It's a shame that Korea is moving forward so quickly with some issues, but stuck in the Medieval times with others.

If you have never had a Thai foot massage, then I suggest you go and get yourself one. It was fabulous. We were taken to a dimly lit room filled with enticing incense and Buddhist decor and seated in some comfortable chairs. The women working on our feet couldn't have been taller than me or weighed more than 120 pounds, but the power they packed in their hands and arms was astonishing. My massage was surely painful at points, but my feet feel amazing now. My co-teacher told me that most Asian people believe that the bottom of the foot is connected to all the major organs of the body; therefore, foot massage and stimulation is a big part of eastern medicine.

Sean and I are leaving for a weekend get-away tomorrow, not quite sure where we are headed, but it will be wonderful to get out of town. Sam and I are taking a trip together next week to the Eastern part of Korea. I cannot wait for vacation!

Tomorrow is my 10 month anniversary in Korea. This year is flying by. Time stands still for no one.


Namaste

2 comments:

  1. What Western buffet & foot place? Can you let me know on FB? Sounds wonderful!

    FYI - this is Christine Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine, we went the Jessica's Kitchen at Seohyeon Station. The food is really yummy!!

    ReplyDelete