In the end, all you take with you is your story.

-Australia-

3.22.2010

I've Learned

Today marks my 6th month anniversary in Korea. 6 months ago I arrived in this foreign land all alone with lots of hopes and anxieties. 6 months ago I began my adventure without many facts, but lots pre-conceived notions. 6 months ago I had a lot to learn.

Here are some things I've learned since September 22, 2009:
  • When Koreans say "maybe" it does not mean maybe. It always means yes. Example: what was said: "Maybe the photographer will be here at 2 o'clock to take your photo." what was meant. "Be there at 2 and not a minute after."
  • The number 4 is associated with death. The Korean word is based on a Chinese character that means 'death'. This causes some anxiety and fear about the number 4. Many building elevators will not read "4" for the 4th floor because of bad luck (similar to the number 13 in America), but an "F" instead. Funny enough, I live on the "F" floor.
  • Koreans always wash their hands before a meal. They never use their hands to touch the food, though. They use chopsticks and a spoon. Koreans never wash their hands before snacking on things like rice cakes or fruit. They always use their hands to touch these foods. Hm.
  • Korean people believe in something called 'fan death'. They think that if you leave a fan on while you are sleeping you will wake up.... dead. Don't believe me? Google it.
  • Koreans eat seaweed soup each year on their birthday.
  • The first birthday celebration is the most important. People throw extravagant parties to celebrate their baby's big day. It is actually the baby's second birthday; however, because Koreans start counting age one when you are born. I am 26 in Korean age. Ugh.
  • Do not cross the street without looking both ways, even when there is a green walk sign flashing. Korean drivers have no concern for pedestrians.
  • If you are male and you are carrying a murse, (man-purse) it does not mean you are gay.
  • Koreans use toilet paper instead of paper towel for everything. It does not weird them out because the Korean word for toilet paper does not mean "toilet" in Korean. Therefore they use it to wipe up spills, for napkins, and of course for bathroom duties too.
  • My clothes will never be soft here because I do not have a dryer to use. Most Koreans do not own a dryer. Or an oven.
  • Koreans love indoor plants. They are everywhere. Some apartments even have their whole porch covered in plants.
  • Do not wear skimpy 'club clothes' on the subway or you will be asked if you are Russian, i.e. a prostitute.
  • It is not a morning in Korea without seeing a pile of vomit somewhere on the street or sidewalk. "Too much soju" isn't reserved for weekends only, but any night of the week.
  • Soju breath is a real thing. If you are lucky enough to be taking public transportation at a certain time of night you will literally be breathing in soju fumes.
  • Red means hot.
  • If you choose to eat your breakfast while walking down the street, you will be stared at. Basically if you do anything that's socially acceptable in America, you will be stared at.
  • Make sure your socks are clean and don't have any holes.
  • If you don't separate your garbage the security man will rip it open and do it for you. Or he will hunt for a receipt with your name on it and fine you.
  • Korea has an extremely respectful culture, but Korean people are severely lacking manners.
  • Things don't always go the way you've planned.
  • Sometimes you have to swallow the bad with the good.
  • You will be a lot happier if you learn to be flexible and not sweat all the small stuff.
  • If you follow your heart, you can never go wrong.
6 months later I really feel as though Korea is my home of sorts. Believe me- there are many times that I still feel as foreign as a mermaid with blue hair, but more often than not my life here is comfortable and I forget that I'm "in Korea". I have been so blessed to make new friends, experience wonderful things, teach children (whether they want to learn or not is irrelevant), and find happiness in a place far from home. 6 months have come and gone before I could say 'kimchi', but there are still 6 months to go. I plan on taking advantage of each and every day I have left here. I urge you to do the same where ever you are in the world. Let's "carpe diem" or as my friend Mandy sings "take time to look up".


Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment