In the end, all you take with you is your story.

-Australia-

10.26.2009

Ever Sat on a Heated Toilet Seat?

Well, I have. Can’t believe that I have neglected to mention this until now. The toilet seats here in most public places and some apartments have this crazy electronic cover that will wash your bum, dry your bum, heat your bum, etc. all while talking to you. There are like 20 buttons to press and pretty much anything you need to take care of is right there at your fingertips. They really make sure and cover all of the important angles here.

Friday afternoon was dragging by like usual, so Hye-sun came and got me and we headed up to the sixth grade teachers lounge. All of the teachers were just hanging out waiting for the clock to strike 4:40 P.M. Someone ordered pizza and so everyone was just relaxing waiting for the food to get there. Out of nowhere one of the teachers that has never spoken any English to me decides to strike up a full out conversation with me. Her English is not great, but it was understandable for the most part. We had an awesome conversation with a little help from Hye-sun translating, and some of the other teachers joined in as well. I really felt like part of the group instead of the awkward clueless foreigner that I usually am in the teacher’s lounge. When I came into the lounge this morning, they were all saying hello to me, asking me about my weekend, etc. I was shocked, but more than that really kind of excited to be able to communicate with these people with who, for the last month the most interaction I had had was a smile, nod of the head, accepting a cup of tea or coffee, or the usual “annong haseyo” (hello).

This weekend I went to Hongdae, an area of Seoul adored by young people and known for its nightlife, restaurants, and shopping. We were bar/club hopping and dancing the night away. It reminded me of the crazy week I spent in Acapulco sophomore year. So much fun with new friends.

club in Hongdae

I have really wanted to visit one of the many famous markets in Seoul and yesterday I finally did. I went with a couple friends to Namdaemun Market, one of the largest, and I believe oldest markets in Seoul. It was such an amazing experience. The people, sights, sounds, smells, were all incredible. There were so many street vendors displaying all kinds of things; slimy sea foods, cheap clothing, fake designer bags, Korean trinkets, dried fruits, roasted bugs, jewelry, Halloween costumes, drag clothes, such a huge variety of items for sale.

Namdaemun Market

street 'meat'

ginseng roots

I had to try some of the street food and it was delicious! It was some kind of shrimp rolled in dough with veggies and other unidentifiable things mixed in.

I'm convinced any food on a stick has to be good

We also visited an area of Seoul known for great shopping, Myeong-dong. There so many shops there ranging from designer to American brands, to little boutiques. We went into the Gap and I couldn’t believe the prices; almost double what they are in the States. I guess that’s the price you must pay for American clothing brands in Asia.

Very exciting news: I am going to Thailand for Christmas and New Years! Can. not. wait! There is a really fun group of girls traveling together and I sort of jumped on board with plans last minute. So happy it all worked out. Going to be sitting on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and escaping the cold of Korea in only about eight weeks!

Obviously the world-wide swine flu scare has gotten out of control and to be honest, is actually a little scary. We all heard (in my case read about) Obama’s speech to the U.S. Saturday. There have been several cases of swine flu popping up in public schools around the Bundang area the past couple of weeks. My co-teacher and co-workers have been talking about it constantly. They are always telling me to take care of myself and not to get sick. Also, they have been pointing out that I don’t wear enough layers of clothing. I have been wearing long sleeved shirts to work everyday. It’s been around 60 degrees or higher here during the day. I wear a jacket each day and most days a scarf too. I don’t know what else they expect. It has been driving me a little crazy. Anyways, today the cases known at our school doubled and the administration decided to close the school half way through the day and for the rest of the week. Awesome for students, not so awesome for teachers. I still have to be at school every day this week basically doing nothing for eight hours. Kind of upset about this, but I understand that they want to take this flu business seriously. Oh yah, and to top it all off they handed me a very fashionable white medical mask to wear at school this afternoon. Maybe it will help me stand out a little less here. Doubtful.


Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment