In the end, all you take with you is your story.

-Australia-

9.03.2010

Typhoon Lagoon

Yesterday Typhoon Kompasu came barreling through the Korean peninsula. I was awaken around 6A.M. to the loud noises outside my window from the rain, wind, and debris flying through the air. The sky was dark grey and the trees were all bending, branches scratching against buildings. By the time I had to leave for school the wind had died down a bit, but it was still a little scary looking outside. I tried to find a cab to save me the 15 minute walk in the messy weather, but there were none to be found and a line of people waiting for one. I braved the weather and walked through the rain and wind to work. My umbrella was useless a few minutes in as it kept getting blown backwards by the strong winds. I arrived at school as wet as a dog and to my surprise no one was there except for a handful of teachers and office workers. Apparently there was a two-hour delay but no one called me to let me know. At least I was safe and sound indoors while the rest of the storm passed. There were lots of damages all around, but nothing catastrophic. Only 5 deaths were reported in Korea which is of course awful for those peoples' families, but thank God the death toll was not higher. My school had several broken windows and the giant billboard from the apartment building next door fell into the school. As of today the storm has completely passed and moved on to Japan. I survived my first and hopefully only typhoon and I am just so thankful that the repercussions were not worse.


Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment