In the end, all you take with you is your story.

-Australia-

5.23.2010

Vegas Lights and K-Pop Stars

This weekend was a long one. Since about 23% of Korea's population is Buddhist, the country receives a national holiday for Buddha's birthday on May 22 which means a paid day off. Happy birthday Buddha!

I had been talking about visiting my friend Sam in Seosan for a while now and finally made it happen. Seosan is about an hour and a half southwest of Seoul by bus. It's located in the Chungcheongnam-do province. Leaving after school on Thursday, Sean and I caught a bus into Seoul and then headed to the bus terminal. The station was so packed because of the long weekend that we had to wait an hour and a half to catch a bus. When we arrived in Seosan Sam met us at the bus terminal and we headed to the main part of the town to grab some food and drinks. Her friends started a band together and played some live music at a local bar that night. They even played a special song for Sam and I, Toto's "Africa". Sam has become really close with the bartenders at the local bar, 501. Coby and Bum are about two of the funniest Koreans I have met. They are both so smiley and energetic and make the bar a lot of fun. I had a great time listening to live music and meeting some of Sam's friends and co-workers. The next day we slept in and then got up to walk around Seosan a bit. After eating some lunch we found ourselves in the city center and eventually in the market. The market reminded me of a smaller scale Busan market with lots of seafood, produce, and other strange meats and things for sale. We purchased bus tickets and then cooled down with some bingsu at a local place. Friday was probably the hottest day we've had so far this spring/summer in Korea. Later we said goodbye to Sam and headed back to the big city.

Check out a video of the band playing Toto's "Africa" here: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10100213180725979&ref=mf


Seosan, Korean Vegas


the band


me, Bum, and Sam


Sam and I on the coolest swing seat ever


bingsu with ice cream

I didn't get a chance to explore Seosan very much, but what I saw I liked. The little strip with all the bars was lit up so brightly you would have thought it was Vegas or something. Seosan is such a small town that literally every foreigner knows each other. It's kind of got this home-town feel to it, but might be too small town for me. Sam is really enjoying herself and loves getting to know everyone including her Korean neighbors and shop owners. I am looking forward to a visit again soon to get out of Seoul and have a change of scenery.

Saturday night was the 14th annual Dream concert in Seoul. This concert was a collection of the hottest K-Pop bands out there right now all gathered in one giant concert. The best part was that the tickets were only 5,000 won. Consequently, the show sold out in half an hour, but we managed to get tickets. Imagine a concert in the U.S. circa late 1990's/early 2000's with like Backstreet Boys, N'SYNC, 98 Degrees, Brittany Spears, and Christina Aguilera all performing together in one show with $5 tickets and you can begin to imagine the hugeness of this event. After arriving late to World Cup Stadium and standing in the rain, we finally made it in and found some seats. We listened to a few bands from outside the gate and then got to see one of Korea's hottest K-Pop stars, Rain perform his latest hit. After that I was exhausted and hungry, so we called it a night and grabbed some dinner and beer. It was an experience and I'm glad I got to see a bit of it, but was also glad to have made it out of there early before getting trampled by thousands of screaming Korean teenagers.



the Dream concert


the crowd


what a trooper, got dragged to the concert after my seat buddy got sick and couldn't go

After 8 months in Korea there is never a dull moment, always something new to try or somewhere new to explore. I am loving my weekends and definitely living for them. Looking forward to a trip to Jeju Island next weekend, which is again a long one for me.


Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment