In the end, all you take with you is your story.

-Australia-

1.19.2010

K-pop Fever

I have been slowing expanding my musical taste while here in Korea and have finally succumbed to K-pop. K-pop is Korean pop music. It is a totally different genre of music all on it's own. I was not immediately taken by the repetitive lyrics and dancy beats, but I have grown to really enjoy this music. You could even say I have caught the K-pop fever. (Maybe I have just been in Korea too long or maybe I have been hanging out with my friend Sara too much- she loves the K-pop!) Either way this bubblegum brand of pop music is something that must be experienced. The heavy make-up wearing, neon and pleather clad teenage singers who bust out these tunes definitely deserve some credit for their originality and Justin Timberlake-like dance abilities. The only way for you to understand what I am talking about is to check it out for yourself. Below I have included several K-pop videos for you to watch. Give it a listen and you just may just enjoy K-pop too. (Or you'll get the cheesy lyrics stuck in your head and find yourself singing them in the shower, walking on the street, riding in the car...)

This is one that my friends and I have been obsessing over lately. The group is called SHINee and their single is "Ring Ding Dong". It is really popular in Korea right now and you'll hear everyone from elementary students with their mP3 players to 20-somethings at dance clubs singing along.
Sadly, we like it so much my friends even want to learn the dance that accompanies it.

I really love this song by Epik High, "One". The video is quite intense, but that is Korean style in general.

Brown Eyed Girls has one of the hottest K-pop songs out right now. It's called "Abracadabra" and there is a really famous dance move that goes with it. Often times Korean students will be caught busting it out in school.

My elementary students love this group, Big Bang. This is one of their songs "Lollipop". I actually think this one is quite annoying, but the outfits and hair styles are too good to miss.

This song is by IU called "Marshmallow". My girl students love when I play this song for them.

This is the Wondergirls song "So Hot". They are actually really big world wide and becoming more popular in North America.

This is 2PM's "Again and Again". They are another huge group here in Korea.

Super Junior's "Sorry Sorry" is one that will be sure to stick in your head.

This is Rain's "I'm Coming". Rain is one of the biggest stars to come out of Korea and has even made it to the big screen playing a part in the new version of the movie Speed Racer.

G-Dragon sings "Heartbreaker" which has been a hit in Korea for a while now. The Korean students love this guy!

This is Girls Generation. The song is called "Chocolate Love" and again, the lyrics are sure to stick in your head.

If you found yourself tapping your foot to the beat, shaking your head or hips, trying to sing along with the refrain, busting out some of the dance moves along with the video, or even digging some neon threads out of your closet, then you have caught the K-pop fever as well. In this case, a healthy dose of K-pop news from http://popseoul.com/ is just what the doctor ordered.


Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment